Are You Normal?

Since we made the decision to homeschool, we have fielded many questions. Of course there is always the most popular one: "What about socialization?" I could go on for a long time about that one, however, another question that I have been asked a few times recently is, "Are you going to be normal or are you going to be like those weird homeschool people? The first response out of my mouth each time was, "Oh, we are normal!" Well, yesterday I was thinking about my response to the question and how quickly I jumped to say that we are a "normal" family. Whatever that means right? When I, a supposedly "normal" homeschool mom, compared my beliefs, morals, values, convictions, standards, etc. with those of some supposedly "weird" homeschoolers....I discovered that we are indeed weird! And that's good! We live in a world where is it so easy to conform. Many Christians look exactly like the world and then we wonder why people are tuned off by the Jesus we try to sell them. It's because many look nothing like the Jesus they claim to have a relationship with. I am learning that being a follower of Christ means you WILL be persecuted. You will face criticism, skepticism, and even hostility at times. In the short amount of time we have been homeschooling, we have come up against some pretty nasty comments. However, the most important thing I try to remember is that I am not held accountable to my critics. I am held accountable to my Lord and to do what he has called me to do. And for me, that is homeschooling my children. If others don't like it, I can't worry about that. Galatians 1:10 is a great reminder for me: "For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Or am I striving to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a bond-servant of Christ." I cannot please God and man at the same time. It's impossible because God's ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts (Isaiah 55:8-9) Another scripture that gives me encouragement is Deut. 6:5-7 which says "Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." How can I do this if my children are spending the majority of their day with someone else? Simple. I can't. Luke 6:40 states "A student is not above his teacher, but everyone who is fully trained will be like his teacher." I had to ask myself: Which teacher do I want them to be like? There are many many other reasons that led us to homeschool but those are some of the major ones. Maybe I will find time to devote a whole post to our reasons for homeschooling. We are happy being weird and I believe God is pleased with our decision. And folks, His opinion is the only one that matters :)

Comments

Unknown said…
I'm you newest follower from the Wednesday Blog Hops! Come check out my blog at: http://adventuresofathriftymommy.blogspot.com/

Have a great day!
Hey Shanee! Great Blog! I am a follower now!
Unknown said…
You have such a beautiful family. =0)
I'm following you back and looking forward to it.
-Melanie
www.joyfulhousewife.com
www.melaniederrick.com
Anonymous said…
I love being weird! :-)

Popular Posts