Head Case

My husband could sleep in a meat hanger. He could. The colder the better and the meat probably wouldn't bother him either, as he is a hard core "meatatarian" as we like to say. Ha! Me, I am all about some coverage. I sleep like I am going skiing and utterly encased in the comforter except my head which peeks out from underneath the refuge of warmth. There is a card I bought my hubby once when he was sick that showed these two little bears sleeping in a bed. When you opened the card it pictured the husband bear sleeping in nothing but shorts and the wife bear (I am assuming they were married ok?) sleeping in sweats and a scarf around her neck - that would be us.


Anyway the point is, that I have realized that I tend to live life kinda the same way I sleep - with my head barely peeking out. There are so many things that sparks fear in my heart. I fear that my children will be kidnapped or hurt in some way. I worry about getting mugged or raped or both and then being left to die somewhere. I fear one day having to face martyrdom (don't be fooled, this may be a possibility for Christians in the United States sooner than we realize) and that bothers me because I truly want to say, as Paul did, "To live is Christ and to die is gain". I fear my husband being killed or in an accident. I have at times made choices based on fear and not on the fact that God is with me and that I have nothing to fear in His presence. This doesn't mean I need to go walking on purpose down dark allies or thrown myself in the middle of a gang fight, but you get the picture. How many times do we miss out on opportunities to share our faith, to experience something new, to change a life, to have our own lives changed - all because we are fearful of the what-ifs? We are told over and over in the scriptures not to fear but to trust that God is with us - and He's not going anywhere. Here are some of my favorites:


"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."
-Matthew 10:29-31


"It is the Lord who goes before you. He will be with you; he will not leave you or forsake you. Do not fear or be dismayed.”
-Deuteronomy 31:8


"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me."
-Psalm 23:4


"The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be
afraid?"
-Psalm 27:1


"I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears."
-Psalm 34:4 


This is one of my favorites:




For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil." Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened." But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander.
-1 Peter 3:12-16




There are many more verses that speak of being fearful and I urge you to look them up, hide them in your heart, and begin believing not only IN God, but BELIEVE Him! He is with us every step of the way and nothing comes to His children that has not already passed through His hands. He has not given us a spirit of timidity but a spirit of power! (2 Timothy 1:7) Embrace the power you have in the Lord Jesus and begin LIVING!!!

Comments

Lori said…
It seems that I fear more as I get older. One of my greatest fears is our children, their spouses, our grandchildren and our family will not have a real relationship with my Heavenly Father. Not be in heaven. Thank you so much for sharing this.
Angie said…
I have been dealing with much of the same thing lately. It is amazing how paralyzing fear can be. I hope you know that even though I feel like I NEVER see you, I'm always here. Let me know if you need to talk!
Anonymous said…
Great blog Misty. I grew up in a house of fear...fear over what will happen to my brother since my parents are older than most. Few understood how debilitating that was for everyone, myself included. It governed every aspect of my life, and kept me in emotional and spiritual bondage. But the Father has set me free, and I am free indeed. :-) Hang on to that freedom and power. If God could conquer death through raising His Son, we certainly have nothing to fear!

Popular Posts